English writer Charles Lamb is often quoted as saying, “Asparagus inspires gentle thoughts”. On the lighter side, Jerome “Curley” Howard quipped, “Are you casting asparagus on my cooking?” Whether thoughtful or comical, it’s only right to celebrate Mothers Day with dishes made with this wonderfully bright, green-hued ingredient that practically shouts - Fresh! Good! Spring!
One of only a few perennial vegetables (others include rhubarb and artichoke), asparagus shines in simple and unadorned treatments that allow its flavors to shine through. For Mothers Day luncheon I used it as the key element in individual portions of mousse with crabmeat and served them accompanied by a simple salad of spring greens with strawberries and raspberry vinaigrette. Together they combine to make a lovely plate fit for Mom’s best day.
Strawberry Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
6 oz arugula or other spring greens, rinsed
3 oz strawberries, quartered
2 oz sliced almonds, toasted
3 tbs raspberry vinegar
1 tbs lemon juice
6 tbs olive oil
1 tsp sugar
salt & pepper to taste
Whisk vinegar, oil, sugar and seasonings for the vinaigrette till emulsified. Set aside. Arrange a salad plate with greens, strawberries and almonds. Drizzle vinaigrette with dressing. Serve with asparagus mousse for a delightful spring luncheon.
Asparagus Crab Mousse Ramekins (6 servings)
16 oz asparagus spears, weighed after cutting off woody ends and reserving tips
1 shallot diced fine
4 oz cooked crabmeat
1 tbs chopped fresh chervil
1 tbs olive oil
2 packets of powdered unsweetened gelatin
4 tbs combination of dry white wine and lemon juice
¼ cup cream fraiche
½ pint heavy cream
1 tsp salt, ¼ tsp ground pepper
After removing woody ends and tips, steam asparagus in a scant amount of water for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and plunge into bowl of icy water. Steam tips for 3-4 minutes until tender and set aside.
Sauté shallot in olive oil under low heat until transparent.
Drain and cut the asparagus spears into 3 inch pieces. Put with shallot, chopped chervil and cream fraiche in a food processor and puree. Meanwhile dissolve the gelatin in the combination of white wine and lemon juice and whisk until incorporated. Transfer puree from processor to a mixing bowl. Stir in gelatin and crabmeat. Be sure to incorporate the gelatine as soon as it is prepared, it becomes densely thick quickly.
Whisk the heavy cream until it is thick and soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into asparagus puree. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into 3 oz ramekins that have been oiled or sprayed with vegetable spray.
Refrigerate for 4 hours until set. When ready to serve, immerse the ramekins in warm water for a few minutes to loosen the mousse. Run a knife around the rim and turn onto plates. Garnish with the tips.
Serve with strawberry salad while still chilled.
Sunday Supper Mothers Day Celebration Today I am joining other friends from SundaySupper to honor our mothers with delicious array of festive dishes to honor them and the day:
Mother's Day Breakfast:
- Bacon,Egg and Cheddar Scones from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Chai Berry Muffins from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Almond Prune Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Greek Breakfast Strata from Curious Cuisiniere
- Maple Almond Butter from girlichef
- Orange Julius from Neighborfood
- Rum Rolls from Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Eggs with an Asian Accent from NinjaBaking.com
Mother's Day Appetizers, Soups and Salads:
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Carrot Ginger Soup from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Chilled Spring Pea Soup from An Appealing Plan
- I Love You Mom Melon Salad from Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Strawberry Salad with Asparagus Mousse from Delaware Girl Eats
- Truffled Sea Salt Shrimp Arugula Salad from Family Foodie
- Vegetable Shu Mai from My Healthy Eating Habits
Mother's Day Main Dishes:
- Betty's Salad from Jelly Toast
- Brussels Sprouts Kofta from Soni's Food
- Cajun Shrimp Eggplant Casserole from Food Lust People Love
- Crepes Lorraine from Noshing With The Nolands
- Greek Chicken Pizza from Casa de Crews
- Ham and Spinach Quiche from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Lightened-Up Penne & Tomato Cream Sauce with Peas & Prosciutto from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mac & Cheese Dressed Up for Mother's Day from Cooking Chat
- Mini Pot Pies from Jane's Adventures in Cooking
- Paprika Shrimp from Nosh My Way
- Spears in a Blanket from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Mother's Day Desserts:
- Banana Cream Pie from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Black-Eyed Susan from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Cannoncini alla Crema from Manu's Menu
- Chocolate Babka from Run DMT
- Chocolate Caramel Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Creme Brûlée from Desserts Required
- Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Gluten Free Lemon Curd Pie from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Cookies from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Limoncello Lemon Pound Cake from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Mom's Glazed Blueberry Tarts from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mom's Coconut Macaroons from MealDiva
- Mango Sorbet from Pescetarian Journal
- PB&J Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Peach Cobbler from Cookin' Mimi
- Pina Colada Cake from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pineapple Empanadas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Scotch Tea Cookies from Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Shortcake Whipped Cream Cupcakes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.