It’s just not generous to limit the enjoyment of margaritas to Mexican holidays like Cinco de Mayo. They can brighten up any day, which likely is why the heart of deepest, darkest winter was chosen for the celebration today of National Margarita Day.
Succumbing to cabin fever as the snow continues to mount around us here in frigid Delaware, I decided to celebrate National Margarita Day by spurring spring along with experiments using citrus-based flavors. With the arrival of seasonal Florida ruby red grapefruit, I chose that semi-tropical fruit as the centerpiece for my drink. Its brightly refreshing tartness laced with an underlying sweetness strikes just the right note for an anticipation of spring drink.
To me, margaritas mean loosening up. Just as I hope spring will be loosening up the bonds of winter, I’ve named these Margaritas Gone Wild.
Margaritas Gone Wild – Ruby Red Grapefruit
1 cup freshly squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice
½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup Tres Generacions white tequila
1 cup Grand Marnier liquor
Margarita salt (optional)
1 cup ice cubes
1 lime cut into wedges
Pour the fruit juices and liquor into a pitcher and stir to combine. Add to a cocktail shaker and shake with ice to chill. If you like a salt rim on the glasses, rub a lime around the top of the glass and then dip the rim into a plate of the salt. Pour the margaritas into glasses, garnish with lime wedges and add ice cubes to retain the chill.
In Celebration of National Margarita Day, members of the Sunday Supper group have contributed their takes on this great libation and foods inspired by them. Check them out!
- Blackberry Margarita from Peaceful Cooking
- Chili Lime Margarita from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chocolate Margaritas from The Texan New Yorker
- Creamsicle Margaritas from Savvy Eats
- Frozen Mango Margarita from Noshing with the Nolands
- Lilikoi Margarita with Li Hung Mui from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Margaritas Gone Wild from Delaware Girl Eats
- Mixed Berry Margarita from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Mom's Wicked Margarita from Desserts Required
- Papaya Mango Ginger Margaritas and Drunken Shrimp Pasta from Simply Healthy Family
- Pomegranate Margarita from Daily Dish Recipes
- Spicy Raspberry Frozen Margarita from The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Strawberry Margarita from Sweet Life
- Tamarind Margaritas from girlichef
- The Great Grapefruit Margarita from La Cocina de Leslie
- Tim G's Margarita from Sidewalk Shoes
- Baked Margarita Chicken Wings from Healthy. Delicious.
- Chambord Margarita Macarons from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Margarita Cake with Sugar Cookie Crust from Gotta Get Baked
- Margarita Cheesecake Bars from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Margarita Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Margarita Donuts from Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen
- Margarita Mousse from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Margarita Shrimp from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Margarita Shrimp Tacos from Supper for a Steal
- Strawberry Margarita Sweet Rolls from The Dutch Baker's Daughter
- Top Shelf (Margarita) Truffles from Culinary Adventures with Camilla